RE: [piecepack] Using piecepack to play abstract games (was Re: piecepackplus)

boardgamesbook <mailto:dhohls@...> wrote:

> The issue of a 'games kit' is one that I have pondered from time-to-
> time (even before piece pack).  The idea that I could have a single
> sturdy set of playing pieces (preferably made from a nice wood) that
> I could use to play any number of existing designs (by this I mainly
> mean 'classic' abstract games, or similar, in the public domain) is
> an appealing one.  This would allow me to create a 'travel pack' that
> I could take with on holiday, for example.  The main issue I have not
> been able to resolve is that of easily creating all the boards.

Ron H-E has his emergency games kit:
http://www.ludism.org/scwiki/EmergencyGameKit

> Also - should 'Go' type pieces (say black-and-white plastic or glass
> beads) be an essential part of the key pieces - how many games would
> use these?

I'm not sure Go pieces would be best for the kit they do not stack. There
are many games that require huge numbers of pieces, especially stacking
games - http://www.di.fc.ul.pt/~jpn/gv/towers.htm. The piecepack cannot
handle a single game on this list!

--
Iain