  From: Iain Cheyne
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 4:26 AM
  Subject: [piecepack] Ithaka, Boll's Game, Powerlines

  I tried some little abstracts with my wife last weekend. Two were
  from my list of generic abstracts that should work with the
  Piecepack - Ithaka and Boll's Game. Neither were much fun to
  play. Ithaka is like glorified tic-tac-toe and we only won or lost
  games when our opponent got bored and made bad moves. Boll's Game
  was more interesting, but very one-dimensional. All you try to do is
  to take your opponents' pieces and retreat out of range as far as
  possible. We played on a 6x6 board, but apparently, it's best on
  a 4x4, so I might give it another chance. I'm going to persevere with
  these Generic Abstracts, but I am not encouraged by these first two.

  The last was Powerlines, which was good. It's elegant and
  skilful. It's probably my favourite piecepack game after Evade
  and Froggy Bottom - although you could easily play it with a pack of
  cards.

  http://www.di.fc.ul.pt/~jpn/gv/ithaka.htm
  http://www.di.fc.ul.pt/~jpn/gv/bollsgame.htm
  http://www.piecepack.org/rules/PowerLines.pdf