Re: Pharaoh's Heir for 2?

Hi

Thanks for the interest in Pharaoh's Heir.

It is possible to play with 2 (haven't tried it), although there
probably won't be as much angst about scoring as there is in 3
and 4 player games. This is because you are really just
competing for first and second place in each area. I could see 2
player being just as strategic, though!

Choosing all 5 actions per turn is essential to the gameplay in
my opinion because it achieves 3 things:

1) There is the least amount of downtime possible between
player turns.  If 4 are playing, then player order is always
A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D etc. With 2 it would be A,B,A,B,A etc
Obviously the player order is broken by the Nile phase, so it
really is A,B,C,D,A,NILE,B,C,D,A,B,NILE,C etc This is different to
Puerto Rico where, if you are first to choose on one turn, you will
be  last to choose the next turn (a gap of 6 choosings if there are
4 players, versus a gap of 3 choosings in Pharaoh's Heir).

With 2 it would be A,B,A,B,A,NILE,B,A,B,A,B,NILE A, etc

2) Five is not evenly divisible by 3 or 4 (and not 2) so it creates
uneven turns, allowing the start player (who has the advantage)
to change each turn without using an addiitonal mechanism.

3) It makes the game feel and play differently to Puerto Rico. The
five phases evolved out of an earlier 'prototype' if you will where
the phases occurred every turn in a specfic order. I retained the
fact that they all occur, and added the choosing mechanic to it. [In
Puerto Rico it is important to have roles left over so that
doubloons accumulate - otherwise the person who can take
advantage of the Trader the most will win most of the time.]

However, there is no reason you can't try Pharaoh's Heir with
your own variants - who knows, maybe you will prefer it! But I
would encourage you to try the rules as written first.

Yes, you can play with 1 piecepack - you only form 2 stacks of 6
landtiles per cycle, and each player uses the coins from 2
different suits.  The nile tiles have to be recycled during the
Period of Unrest along with the land tiles.

Please let me know how the games turn out if you play with 2 - I
would be very interested in hearing about your experinece,
especially since you like 2-player Puerto Rico so much.

Phillip

> My gaming group is usually composed only by my wife and me,
so I'm always
> looking for good 2-player games or 2-player variants for
multiplayer games.
> I haven't tried Pharaoh's Heir yet, but just reading the rules it
seems to
> me that it should be playable by 2. The action choosing
mechanism is indeed
> similar to Puerto Rico, and 2-player Puerto Rico is one of the
best games
> I've ever played.
> Has anyone tried it? It could even be played with a single
piecepack, so if
> it works I think it should definetely be mentioned in the rules!
>
> Another question. One thing that sounded a bit odd to me
reading the rules