Fitting Games to piecepack ... and piecepack to Games

The recent thread by vg_reality_anchor which included a question
about contest rules encouraging designers to "make use of some of the
unique aspects of the piecepack" got me thinking ...

It looks like most of the game rules at piecepack.org are for games
specifically designed to use the piecepack's combination of
components.  (Although there are a few attempts at porting some
classic games to be played with the piecepack.)

I was wondering about the opinion of piecepack fans on this question:
Should the primary purpose of the piecepack be to have a "generic set
of game components" that can be used to play standard, previously-
known games (with some adjustments to fit, if necessary) ... or
should its purpose be to have a standard set of components from which
to create *new* games, specifically for those components?

Your thoughts?

-Matt