Re: [piecepack] Good games for introducing piecepack

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: piecehead2003
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 1:20 AM
  Subject: [piecepack] Good games for introducing piecepack

  >Last I tried to introduce my gaming group to the piecepack. It didn't
  >go down entirely well because some members had problems with the
  >abstract nature of the playing pieces - it's the same with computer
  >games, they go for everything with nice graphics and ignore the game
  >play.

  >I need some suggestions for games that have a high "fun factor", are
  >easy to learn and donøt take too long to play.

  >-Soeren

  I have two suggestions. If your group is into exclusively heavily themed German-style games, try New City with 4 players. This is about as well-themed as you can get within the piecepack universe in my opinion, and it's a darn good game as well, with a touch of dry humor adding to the fun facter. Note however that New City has a strong auction content (I mention this because I have found that some people really don't like auctions). My second suggestion is Ice Floe with 3 or 4 players. For a high fun facter though, it really helps, in my opinion, to use a giant candle as the "torch" (I mean one of those candles that's 2" to 3" in diameter, and 5" to 12" high). The rules concerning what players are allowed to say by way of advice during the game, and how that's enforced, are also great, and contribute to the high fun factor.
  New City and Ice Floe are both serious strategy games but Ice Floe plays faster and does not feel as heavily themed. If you want to try an interesting little opener/closer with a well-integrated theme, try San Andreas with 3-4 players.
  -Mike Schoessow