Math vs fun (was: Re: To change the subject; ...)

Hi

> I want to propose
> a sincere question (not meant to offend, but to gain insight)
>  In your game design, which comes first, the math or the fun?

I usually design piecepack games by first being inspired by the
bits themselves.  I usally ask myself: 'What could the tiles be?
How could the pawns be used?' King Arthur's Court is a good
example - I wanted the pawns to be the characters Arthur, Merlin,
Guinevere and Lancelot from the start, and the game grew
around that. I have already posted how Pharaoh's Heir cam
about, but using the blue (arms) tiles as a river was the first step.

So I suppose I start out with a little bit of fun, then do the math to
make sure the game actually works, then check to make sure I
didn't obscure the fun too much.

Phillip