Re: [piecepack] Re: Personal Expanded piecepack

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Electronicwaffle
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2003 7:52 PM
  Subject: [piecepack] Re: Personal Expanded piecepack

  >In my playtesting for a color to be used, I've resorted to using a D4

  >I think this serves for the purpose of a color select die, and could
  >also in a pinch roll for a non-ace, non-null, tile.

  Yes, a D4 could serve this purpose, and might reasonably display large color disks of the four piecepack colors on its four sides. The other possibility is to use a D8 with two sides per color.

  Having said that, I want to stress that my primary planned purpose for an expanded piecepack is not to make it possible to design a wider range of games (I'll explain that shortly), but rather to facilitate the use of the piecepack for playing a wider range of existing and classic games when in travel or portability situations. For this reason, I think the most important of the possible additions is more coins in two colors. This makes it possible to play a huge set of abstract games (including the many varieties of Checkers for example, and for those who don't know, there are LOTS of Checkers variations, some of which see a lot of play around the world and are distinctly better, in my opinion,  than the standard Checkers that most Americans know of). Probably the second most important addition is paper money.

  Although it would be nice to have a larger collection of bits from which to design piecepack games, these games would not be playable by other people using only a standard piecepack. So, although I do have *some* interest in that, my primary purpose is to come up with a sort of expanded game travel kit that could replace other games and bags of bits, etc., and thereby save space and trouble.

  -Mike Schoessow