On Tile Board Layouts

I don't know if I ever commented on this before or not. Am I the
only one to look at how the tiles can "fit" together to find
inspiration for piecepack games? What layouts do you find repeating
the most often?  Granted, the 5x5 with a central hole and 4x6 seem
to have the most popularity, 7 on a side also seems to get used alot
as well. Does any game use a 5x5 center hole layout with coins
outlining the board? (Does this work, or do we come up 4 coins
short?)

 I'm trying to work this out on my 11th game Idea. In any event, I
can use the 5x5 center hole and coin outline layout for this game.
(I have 5 games public, 3 for the next Comp, 2 I have "in the can"
and this idea will be 11th. Just need to put it on paper.)

 What layouts do other members find the most useful? What layouts
can be designed with 6 tiles being symetrical in 4 directions?

Eric