Re: [piecepack] Re: Need a good game for three

Iain Cheyne wrote:

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Schutz" <hexchex@i...> wrote:
 > I don't know what type of game you are looking for. But two games
 > that I know of and enjoy and fit the bill are Kidsprout Jamboree
 > and Worm Derby.

Thanks Tim. They both look very promising.

Incidentally, the rules to Worm Derby and are very similar to
W�rmeln, the Alex Randolph game from 1994.
www.boardgamegeek.com/viewitem.php3?gameid=404

Mark Biggar: Was this coincidental? It seems it would be easy to
adapt W�rmeln to the Piecepack.

Yeah, I stole, I mean borrowed, the worm movement idea from Wurmeln, a
game that I've never played and have seen being played only once. I didn't even know the name Wurmeln until now. I just looked to up an Boardgamegeek and that is the game I saw being played several years ago. Every thing else in the game is different, at least I think so, as I've
never actually read the rules to Wurmeln.  From the pictures on
Boardgamegeek, Wurmeln seem to use 7 unit worms and there also seems to
be a version of the game themed to camel caravans.  I also notice that
it uses the same "pick a die face and same faces cancel" idea my nephew
independently invented for our Changing Landscapes games "Global Warming" (I thought that seemed familiar.) When I wrote up "Worm Derby"
I just vaguely remembered the worm movement from Wurmeln and nothing
else, so I made up my own game based on that movement mechanism from
scratch, so any similarities (other then the worm movement) are purely
coincidental.

All this means that I should probably at least put a note in the "Worm
Derby" rules that thanks Alex Randolf for his inspiration, now that I
know about it.  I just updated by piecepack wiki "Worm Derby" with info
and will eventually get around to updating the ruleset on www.piecepack.org.

--
mark@...
mark.a.biggar@...