Re: Session report: ...... Farook

.
 >Playing on a 4x4 board feels cramped and static. We could not
> see how to trap the opponent into losing, so the only way we were
> going to win was by the opponent making a mistake. I am no good at
> abstracts and neither is brother-in-law, so there may be tactics
we
> were missing, but we were not interested enough to persevere and
> abandoned it.

Tim Schutz recently posted a new 4x4 game called Wizard's Tower that
can be played with a piecepack. My son and I have tried this out and
found it to be fun to play. It is an abstract though. The rules for
the game are at http://www.tjgames.com/wizard.html.

Although it would seem that the piecepack would be perfect for
playing many 4x4 abstracts (and there are some good ones out there),
the small board (assuming you construct it from four grid-side-up
tiles)is a bit of a problem in my opinion because it does give
almost any game a kind of physically *cramped* feel. Lately I've
been thinking of working on the design of a 4x4 piecepack game
specifically designed to utilize sixteen suit-side-up tiles to form
the board. This would make for a board that is not only larger, but
also more interesting to look at.

-Mike