Re: Moderator question -- Polls

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Andrew Biggar"
<mark.a.biggar@c...> wrote:
> Is there any way to get pools turned on for the group?

Hello Mark,

Polls were requested once before.  (The request was made privately
and recently.)

The reason they are currently turned off: I (the list owner)
frequently find polls to be irritating, trollish, and non-
representative.

Tell ya what I'm gonna do.  I just turned polls on so that they are
creatable only by moderators (that's me and Mr. Thorn).  If you would
like a poll up here, please send a message to the list with a subject
of, oh, I dunno, "Suggested Poll" or somesuch.  In the body, write
the question and suggested responses.  If it appears informative and
not too flamey, one of us will go ahead and create it.  (Ed, if you
want to just leave them to me, that's no problem.  If you don't mind
creating them, all the groovier.)

Please do NOT reply to such messages with "oh, that's a great poll
idea" and you-know-what-I-mean.  If the originator of the poll
suggestion feels the request got missed, he or she should send a
little poke by private email to jdroscha at att dot net.

Here's the type of poll you will not see approved:
"What is the best [...]?"
Why?  Because it is worded poorly, and it asks for opinion rather
than fact.  If you want people's opinions, just send a properly
worded question to the list: "What is your favorite [...] and why?"

Also, keep in mind that the moderator creating the poll reserves the
right to edit both the question and the proposed responses.  I will
always be inclined to add a response at the bottom like "none of the
above represents my preferred response" to help combat
misrepresentation.

If you find any of this unreasonable, please feel free to email
jdroscha at att dot net.

Cheers,
James