The solitary confinement puzzles!

Hi, everyone

Congratulations to all the authors for sending Karol copies of
your games so that everyone can see them and try them out. I
have sent feedback to everyone - hopefully authors will take time
to make changes (if they choose to) and send updated versions
to Karol in the future.

Thanks again to Karol for all her hard work being the contest
liaison again, and to her and Dave for getting piecepack.org up
to date.

It was interesting to me to see which entries were puzzles (which
I personally defined as perfect information games), some of
which were always solvable, others only solved sometimes.

The solitaire format certainly encouraged the entry of puzzles,
plus I know that many people enjoy solving them, so I thought I
would list them here.

Entries which I considered to be puzzles: Mathrix (the most
intellectual of them all); Landlocked; Piecegaps; some of the
rooms in the Epic Funhouse; Brain Burn; Plans of Action;
Cardinal's Guards; Skyscrapers, Fuji-san; so roughly half of the
entries.

As I mentioned in the feedback to many authors, I found that as
the judging went on I preferred the entries that were games over
the puzzles. Of the puzzles I found Cardinal's Guards stood out
for me.  It is complex enough that I didn't even try to fathom the
optimal 'solution' to reach the highest score for a given setup, so
I ended up simply playing it more as a game, and had a great
time doing so.

Interestingly, Plans of Action is another of the games that could
well be adapted for 2 (and possibly 3 or 4) players.

Phillip