Re: [piecepack] Rules questions for Matrix

I would like to second the request for rules clarification. This is on a slightly different subject, but there is at least one other existing game with the name Matrix (commercial game, non-piecepack). It may make sense to change the name or spelling slightly if you want.

-Mike
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kisa Griffin
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 4:22 PM
  Subject: [piecepack] Rules questions for Matrix

  First off I would like to say that this games looks interesting.
  Second I have to say that I agree with previous comments that
  the rules are confusing.  I want to play it more but I would like to
  be playing it properly and to do so I am in need of some
  clarifications.  Hopefully Mr, Barret himelf will step forward to
  address these questions.  If not, perhaps Phillip Lerche, the
  master of soitary confinement, will say a few words as he clearly
  figured it out well enough to play it and give it the honorary
  mention of best theme.

  I will preface these questions by saying that if I did not feel that
  the game had potential I would not be bothering you with thes
  questions.  I am not just trying to pick on your wording, I am trying
  to understand your intent so that I can play.   And I fully admit that
  this may be one of those rare (Ron could vouch for this part)
  instances where I just don't grock game rules after reading them
  a few times and trying a practice game between each reading.

  Here are the items that I feel need clarified to start with.  These
  may address everything for me depending on the answers.
  There are a few bits that depend on which why the answers fall
  whether they are still conffusing or not.

  1. There are two definition of the word contiguous that could
  apply in each instance that it is used in the rules.  They are:

       1. Sharing an edge or boundary; touching.
       3. a. Connecting without a break: the 48 contiguous states.
                               -The American Heritage Dictionary 3rd Ed.

    The confusion is in sections Basic Game - Making a run - (1) &
  (2). Which of these applies to each occurance of this word?

  2. When chosing where the initial pawn and tile are placed we
  are assuming an invisible grid on the tabletop.  Is this correct?

  3.    In Basic Game - Making a run - (2) you address how to add
  to the matrix if you want to move in a direction that has no ice or
  an occupied data fort.  What if you wish to go in a direction that
  contains a tile where one of the ice breakers has previously
  broken ice and the poer-up token is gone? Does the ice break
  move in freely or does it have to break the ice again?

  4. Can an Ice breaker exit and re-enter the matrix?   Does it have
  to deal with ice on the way out or does it just pop out and come
  back in another way?  Could it in fact come in to the matrix in a
  very different area of the table thus creating two sections of the
  matrix which are, at that time, not connected?  If it can pop out
  and re-enter this would allow you to enter right next to a data fort,
  is this the intent?

  5.  What are the values of the Null and Ace on the dice?  I played
  using the default of 1 and 0.  If that is that case it seems to make
  the game pretty random and very hard because you will have to
  have a minimum of one coin of a color on hand to get into a data
  fort as they have a value of 6 and you can roll at best a 5 (+1 for
  being the same color.

  I look forward to the answers to these questions so that I may
  accurately play the basic game and move on to the advanced.

  Thank you very much,

  Kisa Griffin