Re: [piecepack] [OT] Quoting others

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: W. Eric Martin
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 7:44 PM
  Subject: [piecepack] [OT] Quoting others

  >I deal with this as a writer, such as when sources say they don't want
  >to be quoted saying such-and-such, but then they give me information off
  >the record.  I have never used such quotes because it would be rude to
  >do so, yet should I ever desire to be a jerk, the law would back me up.

  Hi Eric,
  What you say makes sense, and now that I think about it, of course I have heard the same thing in the context of reporters dealing with sources and such. Thanks for bringing that up. It's good to be clear about these things. Still, I would hate to think that I should *never* type anything in an e-mail that I would not be happy to show to the rest of the world :-) . I suppose one must exercise judgement depending on the circumstances. Certainly, quoting a private e-mail without the knowledge or consent of the party quoted, is something that I would consider very poor form, and I hope that most people would agree (as you do, judging by your reply) after they think about it. I have heard that Yahoo has its own policy on these matters.
  The piecepack group has been gratifyingly free of flame wars and rude behavior, and hopefully it will stay that way. Everyone occasionally says something that they realize, upon reflection, was not a wise thing to say. One nice thing about this group is that members seem to appreciate that fact, and because of this, the group continues to thrive as a valuable source of information and inspiration.

  -Mike