[OT] Quoting others

Mike Schoessow wrote:
> I don't know what the legalities are, but it would not surprise me to
> discover that private e-mails were covered under some sort of privacy
> law.

Privacy law?  What do you think this is, Europe?

Within the U.S., once you send e-mail (or a letter) to an individual, it is no longer private. You have shared it with another, and that person has the legal freedom to show others or redistribute it. People also have the right to discuss phone conversations with others, but letters and e-mail are potentially more damaging because you lose the ability to deny you said something.

I deal with this as a writer, such as when sources say they don't want to be quoted saying such-and-such, but then they give me information off the record. I have never used such quotes because it would be rude to do so, yet should I ever desire to be a jerk, the law would back me up.

Rely on the advice of mothers everywhere: If you don't want others to know you said something, don't say it in the first place.

Eric-4

--
W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net