Re: [piecepack] Making new games...

Sean Brady wrote:

I am new to Piecepack, but not new to the World of gaming or the world
of making up my own games.  In the past I have used my Cheapass games
bits box and a deck of cards, and me and friends have played my games.
I am planning to order a Mesomorph set (or maybe all 3) and transfer
some of the game I have written to piecepack.

Welcome.

I have a question though...i doubt I will get a chance to read through
all of the games currently available for piecepack, and I dont have
any delusions that my games are so unique that most of the population
has not already thought of it.  So the question is, How do game
designers ensure that there game is sufficently unique before posting
it here or anywhere else?

Actually, most don't bother. For example, quite a few of the piecepack rulesets are adaptations of existing games that show how to play that game using a piecepack. If your really want that type of information, there are at least three ways to get it.

1) read all the rule sets. :-)

2) upload the ruleset to the groups rulesets-in-progress folder, announce it to the group and get comments.

3) go to the piecepack wiki ( http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki ). Most of the games have a page that gives a brief description of the game, often design notes and player comments. In any case, please come and contribute to the wiki.

I suppose I just need to get reading...any thoughts from experts are
welcome.  Once I have my set I will be posting 2 games fairly quickly
(I think).  My games tend to be fairly quick to play games desinged
primarily as fillers.  I try and use a theme in each game, and
mechanics that keep all of the players engaged in each turn or round.
So if you like that in games, I can always use a few good beta
testers  :)

I'm looking forward to seeing your games.

Also, please consider entering the next piecepack contest, which should be starting up real soon now as the last one (the 6h) just announced its winner, who is traditionally the judge of the next contest.

--
mark@...
mark.a.biggar@...