Suitability for a student game design challenge?

hi everyone -- I'm going to be starting a game club afterschool at my
daughter's elementary school soon, and one idea I had was to let some
of the students make their own game if they were interested.
Originally my idea was to supply them with markers, paper, bits, dice,
etc. but then today I stumbled upon piecepack at Board Game Geek and
this looks really interesting.  My thinking now is that this would get
them focused on game mechanics and rules, rather than getting bogged
down in the artwork and creation of pieces.  And they could always add
to their piecepack-based game with their own bits.

So my question to you all is, has anyone tried this before -- IE, any
experience of kids using piecepack?  or anyone done a game design
challenge with students?  Any experience or suggestions that you can
share?

The age groups are Kindergarten to 2, and from 3rd to 6th grade (2
separate game clubs).

thanks everyone!  and apologies if this was already covered somwhere,
but a quick search of the message archive didn't turn anything up.