Tariffs

Has anyone played Tariffs by Joonathan C. Dietrich (see Rulesets in
Progress) yet? Without having played it yet, it appears to utilize a
simple and elegant mechanic. It's an abtract rail game of the type
where players race to complete secret routes over shared links (like
Transamerica in that sense) but with an added element; dominoes are
used as route links over a tight-packed board of tiles, and domino
pip numbers establish tariff costs for all links in a route.
Unplaced links may also be traded with other players. I plan to try
the game over the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. For people who
think that Transamerica is OK but a bit too light or too random,
Tariffs might be just right.

Jonathan, I noticed you don't use the pawns (not a criticism, just
an observation) and I couldn't resist thinking of a possibility. How
about giving each player an opportunity to place his pawn in the
center of any tile in lieu of taking any other action that turn,
once during the game (pawns never move once placed). Then, any
routes running through the tile holding the pawn benefit the pawn
owner (the pawn owner's score goes down by the tariff through that
tile for each route through the tile). Theme-wise, you could say
this symbolizes the pawn owner collecting an infrastructure lease
payment or some such thing. Because players don't know just when
another player will declare a route complete, there would be a trade-
off between placing the pawn safely early but probably not in a
lucrative position, versus waiting until routes look like firming up
but maybe not having time to get it placed at all (once a route is
declared, it would be too late to place a pawn).

-Mike