Re: Rehi, congrats, thanks, apologies, miscellanea

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, Ron Hale-Evans <rwhe@l...> wrote:
> I also want to thank [...] Clark Rodeffer
> for judging it. Clark, you have certainly
> raised the bar in terms of critiques from
> the judge!

Thanks for your kind words, Ron. Like I said in the report, every game
(even the very long ones) got at least two full plays with different
groups and numbers of players (if applicable). Some of the shorter
and/or two-player games got a whole lot of plays, and I got a lot of
verbal feedback from my players. I'm not a fast writer, but I put the
essence of what they said into the report.

One of the problems I ran into with tabulating the final scores was
that it required an interesting bit of math to fairly combine sets of
scores from several different people, most of whom only played certain
games and not others. In a nutshell, I curved all of the individual
raw scores in each category across all of the games to a least squares
best-fit parabola forced through the forced endpoints 1 and 10 and
with a forced average of 5.5. This produced a full set of individual
curved (weighted) category scores for each game. Then, for each game,
I averaged those curved scores within each category to get summary
scores for each category. Finally, those summary category scores were
analyzed across categories using several other statistical measures,
which were then combined into a single final score that could fairly
be compared to the final scores of other games. Thank goodness for
spreadsheets!

Clark