Re: [piecepack] Re: Rehi, congrats, thanks, apologies, miscellanea

mschoessow wrote:
On a related subject: in most past competitions (but not in this most recent one seemingly) some of the submitted games were clearly broken, and I don't think it's a good thing for such games to be put up at piecepack.org. That being the case, I don't really like the system of automatically adding all contest games permanently to the games list (or to the rules disk for that matter--having broken games on ther can't be god for Mesomorph). In fact, having broken games posted is not in the interests of any of us. Understand that I'm not talking about cases where there is a difference of opinion; some games are indisputably broken. Perhaps we could implement a proceedure where, after all games are made available in "as is" form following the close of a competition, they are only added to piecepack.org after the author requests this OR the judges of the competition authorizes it (keeping in mind that the games are in the public domain). I realize this may be a touchy subject and I don't want to trample over anybody's sensibilities. Comments?

My $0.02, take with grain o' salt since I'm still quite new to the piecepack community.

I'd like to see a user-based rating system, preferably on piecepack.org. I found the rating/comments pages on the piecepack wiki but a wiki doesn't really lend itself to what I was hoping to find, which was a way to search for games based on number of players and popularity. Imagine something in the vein of Amazon's user ranking system for books or (the system that really inspired the idea) Recipezaar.com's system for ranking recipes. Registered users could enter comments about their experience with the game and give the game a "star" rating; in the piecepack tradition, the ranking would be from Null through 5 - and perhaps Crowns would be more appropriate than stars, come to think of it ;). In such a system, I would imagine the "broken" games would have naturally low rankings. The games where broken-ness was a difference of opinion would probably float to the middle, and really good games would tend to float to the top.

The ideal finished product would allow somebody to look for a game based on available equipment (does it need an expansion? playing cards? pyramids?), number of players, perhaps playing time as well. The results could then be sorted by user ranking to "float" popular (and by assumption, fun) games to the top. The idea came to me two weekends ago when I had just completed construction of my own piecepack and my father-in-law was visiting and I was trying to find a fun game for 3 players and one piecepack so we could try out this "new" system (not to mention have some fun while we were at it). I wound up choosing PDFs to download and print more or less at random; my choices tended to be influenced more by equipment and the actual name of the game, which is a not-so-reliable indicator of game quality. It took us to the end of the night to stumble across The Assassination Game Le, and after losing one player to bedtime we had to improvise a peculiar two-player variant to finish up the night.

Being a software developer by profession (which doesn't seem uncommon among piecepackers) and also having some experience at web and database programming, I'd even offer to help develop the system if I knew where the thing could be hosted. (My personal website doesn't have the disk space for all the rules documents...)