Re: [piecepack] Re: Rehi, congrats, thanks, apologies, miscellanea

Welcom Matt,
I can't speak for the maintainers of the piecepack.org site, so I won't. But
what I can do is point you to resources that are available on the wiki.

A list of lists showing games grouped by some large basic game types and
themes. Find a game like Pachisi.
http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/TaxonomyOfPiecepackGames

A list of lists showing games grouped by required equipment. Find a game that
requires pyramids (IceHouse) or dominoes.
http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/RequiredEquipment

A list of lists showing games grouped by mechanics. Find a game that uses a
Random Board setup. (Still very new and incomplete, but it will grow.)
http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/GameMechanics

A list of lists showing games grouped by Number of players that can play. Find
a game for 3 players.
http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/NumberOfPlayers

A list of lists showing games grouped bye length of time needed to play. (Find
a game to play that be played in under half an hour.
http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/TimeToPlay

A list of competition winners. Find an award winning game.
http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/CompetitionWinners

A list of recommended games. Find a game suggested by others.
http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/RecommendedGames

A list of games not recommended. Find a game you might not want to play.
http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/NotRecommendedGames

A list of games that need play testing and feedback. Find a game that could
use your help.
http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/CategoryNeedsTesting

A list of lists of games grouped by Ratings that have been applied. Another
way to find a game that people like enough to have added a rating to.
http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/Ratings/Summaries

A page detailing how to add your own rating markers to a game. Rate the games
you have played to help others find games you like.
http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/Ratings

A wiki may not be an ideal environment to build the listed functionality
because there isn't the ability to do complex cross referencing (A
recommended 3 player game that takes less than 1 hour to play and requires no
extra equipment), but it is very flexible and all of this work has been done
using the out of the box functionality that comes with the wiki software. Not
to mention that all of this work has been done by members of this community
without having to appeal to a higher power (web master) before implementing
and anyone can add additional functionality.

That said, there is no reason why you couldn't implement your own rating site
with all of the features you mention. You would not need to host the PDF game
files, simply link to them on piecepack.org as the wiki does. Once it is up,
I'm sure that piecepack.org and the wiki would link to you. No reason why we
couldn't have a forth resource (piecepack.org, the wiki, the yahoo group,
your rating site)

As for the listing of "broken" games on piecepack.org, I personally have no
problem with it. Maybe a disclaimer on the page is in order to inform the
world that these are all of the games that have been submitted to them and
that the quality or content of the games are the responisbility of the
creators not the maintainers. It seems that it is not a bad thing that this
page contains ALL games that people have said are ready to go. This also
avoids hurt feelings and politics.

Possibly instead of removing "broken" games, simply marking the competition
winners and possibly the honourable mentions on the page with different
colour or a star or something that will draw people visiting the list to
these games. This should give people enough "proven" games to get them
interested and hardened should they then later decide to try other games and
get a lemon.