new to piecepacks, a question

Hi,

I have questions about the piecepacks.  I was thinking
of getting them for a friend of mine for christmas
(probably a bit late for that) but i don't know much
about them.  If you want to play witha group of
people, how many piecepack sets do you need.  Is one
sufficient for playing with people.  Also, I need to
know exactly what I need to get/purchase and where is
the best place to find them.  I found two stores
offering quite different things.  I can't remember the
links at the moment.  One was the original store
offering a piecepack set for about 30$ dollars.  On
another site (affiliated with ice towers) I found what
appeared to be a very basic piecepack set for 7
dollars although there was no picture so I couldn't
verify that anything was there.  I guess I'm just
looking for beginner buyer advice.  What will I need?

Daryl