Re: [piecepack] seeking game recommendations

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: wormbin
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 11:58 AM
  Subject: [piecepack] seeking game recommendations

  >Hi folks.  I just ordered a piecepack set and plan to test it out with
  >my regular gaming group ASAP.

  >We normally play the heavy german board games: Tigris & Euphrates,
  >Amun Re, Puerto Rico, Taj Majal, Tikal, Goa.  We do enjoy the lighter
  >ones too: Ra, San Juan, Saint Petersburg.

  >To those of you that are familiar with the above list of games and
  >also familiar with Piecepack games, are there any Piecepak games that
  >you would recommend to our group?

  >thanx!
  >Robert

  Hi Robert,

  I agree with the previous recommondations and would elaborate as follows. Given your stated preferences, here are some meaty German-style games plus a favorite filler of mine.
  City building:  NEW CITY.  This game was the cream of the 3rd design competition. Clever mechanics. Best with 4 players.

  Civilization building: PHARAOH'S HEIR.  Winner of the 4th design competition and finished within the top 10 in Hippodice.

  Railroading: SHIP IT! A 3-4 player pick-up and delivery type railroad game, one of my own.

  Racing: RACEPACK. A car racing game in the same style as Speed Circuit and Formula 1, another of my own.

  Memory element: KING'S COTTAGE. A game about building and furnishing a cottage for the king. Very good theme attachment.

  Filler game:  SAN ANDREAS. A quick little game about risky city building along the California coast. Fun and visually clever.

  You also may be interested in THE IN CROWD, which won the most recent design competition, although I'm not sure it falls into your preferred parameters. The game is strictly 2-player and is a bit too long to be considered a filler. It should be clear from a reading of the rules whether it would suit you or not.

  Lastly, the 5th design competition yielded some very good solitaire games, including some with quite reasonable theme attachment, in case you ever find yourself in the mood for a game but nobody else is around.

  -Mike

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor