Re: [piecepack] Games with adult themes

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dave Boyle
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 11:08 AM
  Subject: [piecepack] Games with adult themes

  >I wonder if anyone else has given this issue any thought.

  >With Comic Sutra and Adultery the piecepack has entered new territory, and
  >I'm not sure what the ramifications are.  Personally, I'm a little torn on
  >the subject.

  >In my role as piecepack.org admin, I say every game that's out there for the
  >piecepack should be included regardless of content.  Now that may eventually
  >mean separating them into different sections or something like that if the
  >content gets too outrageous, I don't know.  I did choose to put a short
  >warning on Adultery, but sitting at the top of the list like that I'm not
  >sure that's going to do more than draw the eye and increase downloads.

  >But then I also have the role of manufacturer and retailer, and here's where
  >things get a bit sticky.  We take our sets to conventions fairly often and
  >talk face to face with people about them and the rules that come with them.
  >There's no doubt about it, the fact that there are over a hundred games and
  >every single one of them you could sit down and play with your kids,
  >.parents, etc. is almost always a selling point.  The more I think about it
  >the more likely it is that we're going to leave any games with adult themes
  >out of the rules CD that comes with the MG sets.  Ultimately, I think it
  >will be more marketable with the "clean" rules only, and that's the bottom
  >line.

  Hi Dave,

  If I understand your position, you propose to leave all the rules on the piecepack.org site as they are, but do not plan to include the non-family-friendly games on the MG rules CD. This sounds like a good approach to me. The MG piecepack, as a commercial product, is something that can and should be marketed and sold as Mesomorph Games wishes, based on the target demographic. I don't see anything new or comtroversial here.

  A separate question concerns whether or not to change how games are listed at piecepack.org. Personally I don't have a problem with leaving things as they are for now. If this becomes uncomfortable for some people in the future however, it may make sense to change things. For example, the primary listing could be by category (abstract, themed, race, solitaire, adult, etc.----there are various vays the catagories can be broken down). It would be handy to still be able to call games up alphabetically by first clicking on a separate button, but if this isn't the default then it will likely be used mostly just by people looking for a specific game and not by browsers.

  -Mike