Re: [piecepack] Re: piecepack design workshop #2: Stations v1.2 by Michael Schoessow

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Matt Worden
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:33 AM
  Subject: [piecepack] Re: piecepack design workshop #2: Stations v1.2 by Michael Schoessow

  >I had a chance to play the game during my lunch break today.
  >Overall, it's a neat game that fits the piecepack very nicely.  It
  >seems like a game that not only will reveal more/deeper strategy and
  >effective tactics the more you play, but will change a good deal
  >depending on who you play with.

  >However, I'm a bit unclear yet as to how paths are defined.  This
  >seems to be what the whole game revolves around ... so being able
  >to "dummy proof" the definitions into something as clear as possible
  >will help.  I've formed a couple of questions that might help
  >illustrate where/how I'm confused:

  >1> What is the distance travelled between two building sites that
  >are "directly across the street" from each other (the initial half-
  >tile gap is between them)?  My gut would tell me it's 1, since you
  >have to "cross the street" ... but, as Phillip mentioned in his
  >reply, middle example in the "Examples of Counting ..." diagram
  >seems to suggest that it might be zero instead.

  Hi Matt,

  Thanks for trying out the game and providing feedback. Regarding the counting of spaces, see my response to Phillip's post. I realize that it is confusing (OK, nonsensical) the way it is now. Let me mull this over through the weekend and then I'll post a detailed replay.

  >2> Do paths only exist along the edges of the tiles, so that once 2
  >tiles get more than a distance of a half-tile apart they no longer
  >have pathways between them (no "open space" paths)?

  See my response above :-)

  >I also have a couple additional variant ideas:

  >1> Allow players to rotate a tile instead of (or in addition to)
  >sliding it

  Very interesting idea!

  >2> Players start with a "random queue" of their coins (shuffled
  >facedown and stacked) ... they can only look at the value of the
  >next one that will be placed

  I like this one too. I'll probably include both of these in my final rules version. Thanks. I did mention in the rules that it's a game that lends itself to many variants!

  -Mike