Re: piecepack design workshop #3: Tariffs

Thanks for your contribution to the current pdw, Matt.

I finally found some time to read Jonathan's Tariffs.

General comments:

Nicely set out rules, nice diagrams, overall easy to read and free
of spelling/grammar errors which always gives a more
professional feel to the ruleset.  Looks like a game with some
good player interaction, and good replayability in terms of the
randomly drawn path as well as the different layouts.

Specific comments:

I assume from the rules that players keep their dominoes
hidden?

In the part where you say 'decide on the number of rounds' - this
is the first time the game players come across the use of
'rounds' in the rules - but they don't really know what this means
until the end of the rules - perhaps this could be expanded
somewhat?  It is probably also helpful to say "Each round
consists of players taking turns until one player completes his
contract" prior to explaining what players can do on a turn.

I see there is a note that mentions '[example]' and I think that this
would be a very important thing to add.

> One question that comes to the forefront for me ... why the
somewhat-
> complicated way of scoring the upside-down dominoes added
after a
> run is called?  Could you simply give a constant value for each
of
> those -- sort of a medium-highish number, like 4 or 5 ... it
would
> make the mental pre-planning/decision-making regarding if it's
> better to hold out on placing an existing domino a bit easier.

I agree with Matt's comment - why not just make all the down
sides = 6?

I thought the diagrams were great - and I think you might
suggest one of the layouts as a base game - I think that figure 1
makes an excellent default choice as it is clear that the players
are progressing from one side of the board to the next.

Overall, looks like a clever combination of piecepack and
dominoes - just a few things to clarify and an example to add  -
nice job.

Phillip