Re: [piecepack] Cardinals Guards Question

Jorge,

I'm glad to see your having a good time playing Cardinal's Guards, I played
this game quite a bit myself during the Piecepack contest and still enjoy
it today.  For me the game is a constant challenge to keep making points,
and just when I think I'm stuck, a little more thought usually gets me past
the problem.  Searching all the chambers is not too difficult with practice
but a score above 50 is tough.  I sometimes try option 1.  This makes it
harder to remove placed castle guards which tends to clog up musketeer
movement within the castle.

I think the short answer to your question is NO, but I would really like
you to illustrate more specifically the move/s involved in your question.
That will allow me to better understand your question, answer it more
fully, and alter the game instructions to eliminate the ambiguous language
if needed.

The reason I suggest NO is that I think you may be trying to engage
(attack/defeat) a perimeter guard incorrectly.  Perimeter guards may only
be engaged when the physical movement of one of your musketeers (moved as a
"run-away rook") is prevented from leaving the board (stopped) by a
perimeter guard.  That guard, and only that guard, may then be engaged.

Perimeter guards may not be engaged just because your musketeer is setting
on a perimeter square.  They also may not be engaged when using the
subterranean tunnel network which results in your musketeer moving to one
of the corner (perimeter) squares.

Please let me know if, and where, the rules could be modified to clear up
any misinterpretation.  My brother Mike and I always struggle to create
clear and concise rules but it usually takes a player like yourself,
someone not involved in the game's design, to find rule ambiguities.

-Stephen

             Jorge Arroyo
             Gonzalez
             <trozo@makasoft.n                                          To
             et>                       piecepack@yahoogroups.com
             piecepack@yahoogr
             oups.com                                              Subject
                                       [piecepack] Cardinals Guards
                                       Question
             03/09/2006 11:09
             AM

             Please respond to
             piecepack@yahoogr
                 oups.com

Hi

   Can a movement begin and end in the same square? From the rules it
could be assumed yes (unless I didn't pay enough attention) and it
can be helpful in some situations. I just used this once in my second
game to get one of the guards into the supply so that I wouldn't have
to kill another one of the same colour in another part of the board.
Thanks to this I managed to get 54 points :) so....

-Jorge