Re: [piecepack] Materials

On 10/16/06, M. Hale-Evans <marty@...> wrote:

> Has anyone else ever made a piecepack of 1/4" hardwood and used
> adhesive vinyl for the symbols? How did it work? Would it help to
> put some kind finish over the vinyl? What kind of finish should I
> use? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I haven't made a set like this, but I would think the vinyl might make
a difference in the "slidyness" of the pieces.

It definitely does. The vinyl is slightly "grabby", especially when it
contacts other vinyl.

I'm guessing a finish
would help, as well as keeping the vinyl stuck to the wood.  I would
advise you (and anyone who wants to stick or paint things on wood or
cardboard surfaces and use a protective finish) to go to a craft store
and find Royal Coat.  It's a paint-on sealant that comes in plastic
jars.  It dries to a nice, very clear satin finish, and it's the ONLY
thing I've found that doesn't stay slightly sticky for a really long
time.  If you put on 2 or 3 coats, it holds up really well, too.

I'll make some test pieces and give that a try.

--
Thanks,
Dave