Re: Good Portsmanship entries

CDR
>>> Do you plan to post copies of the "anonymized"
>>> contest entries there, or will that have to wait
>>> until your judging is done?

RHE
>> There may be a possible middle ground [....] I
>> can tell you that several members of my game
>> group Seattle Cosmic are already very curious
>> about one of the games; I won't mention which
>> one, though.

First impressions can be deceiving, but I'm sure you and your play
test group will be as fair as possible in your assessment of the
entries. My concentration has been mainly on abstracts, so as someone
who has heard of only some of these games (and played even fewer), the
titles all sound really cool to me!

RHE
>> On a slightly different topic, I've been
>> thinking of having a live online awards
>> ceremony when I announce the winners on IRC,
>> Jabber, or something like that. [...] I might
>> be willing to judge the games, release them
>> anonymously, wait a week or two for people to
>> play them, _then_ have the online ceremony.

I like the idea of a preview of the anonymous entries after your
judging is finished but before you announce a winner, but I wouldn't
want that period to last too long, maybe just however long it takes
you to write your report or comments on the games or whatever? Of
course, it's your contest, Ron, so you can do it however you like.

>> What do y'all think? Clark, you're a big IM
>> user, right? Would you be willing to help
>> set this up? Online messaging has changed a
>> lot since I met Marty on Bitnet Relay back in
>> 1987. :) A permanent #piecepack IRC channel
>> might be an interesting side effect.

I don't know, Ron. I do keep my instant messenger (GAIM, which is a
multi-client free program available from SourceForge) open most of the
time, but mainly so I can keep in touch with family. I have no idea
how to set up a multi-user chat, especially on IRC. Like Jorge said, I
think it's a great idea, but I don't have the technical expertise to
make it happen. Also, consider his further comment:

JAG
> What about the time for the ceremony? Different
> time zones can be a problem... Please, don't do
> it very late for those of us in Europe :)

The piecepack community probably spans somewhere around a dozen time
zones, so setting this up at a mutually agreeable time might be tricky.

Clark