Re: [piecepack] Re: Good Portsmanship entries

On 12/8/06, Clark D. Rodeffer <clark@...> wrote:
--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Hale-Evans" <rwhe@...> wrote:
> For easier reference, information on all 13 entries (including
> Jorge's) can be found here:
>
> http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/GoodPortsmanship

Wow, Ron, that's pretty cool! I can hardly wait to try some of these.
Do you plan to post copies of the "anonymized" contest entries there,
or will that have to wait until your judging is done?

Clark

I'd _like_ to make them available, but I don't want to be swayed by
discussion on the mailing list about which games are good (especially
by the people who designed them!). Besides, that's not the way it's
worked in most previous contests. There may be a possible middle
ground, however (see below).

I do hope to judge the entries in a timely way, preferably by early
2007, so with luck, people won't have to wait too long. Because of the
theme of the contest (porting other games), it's been possible to make
a little more information than usual available this time (which games
were ported), and I'm glad that's whetted some piecepackers'
appetites. I can tell you that several members of my game group
Seattle Cosmic are already very curious about one of the games; I
won't mention which one, though.

On a slightly different topic, I've been thinking of having a live
online awards ceremony when I announce the winners on IRC, Jabber, or
something like that. I believe this is a tradition in the annual
interactive fiction competitions. Just so that people have something
to gossip about (just like Oscar night!), I might be willing to judge
the games, release them anonymously, wait a week or two for people to
play them, _then_ have the online ceremony.

What do y'all think? Clark, you're a big IM user, right? Would you be
willing to help set this up? Online messaging has changed a lot since
I met Marty on Bitnet Relay back in 1987. :) A permanent #piecepack
IRC channel might be an interesting side effect.

Ron, Port Authority

--
   Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... ... http://ron.ludism.org/
Mind Performance Hacks book: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mindperfhks/