Re: [piecepack] Piecepacks from Blue Panther?

On 1/15/07, Dan Isaac 2 <disaac2@...> wrote:
I am a bit of a long-time lurker, and don't actually even
own a piecepack, but I had some comments on this discussion...

Great news.

> He has mentioned a few options for materials:
> baltic birch (natural color, stained, painted, or
> "reverse image"), hardwood tiles, and acrylic.

One concern I have with wooden pieces where hidden
information is required, it is not that hard to be able
to distinguish wooden pieces from each other from their
back sides. Whether by color or texturing, each tile is
going to have it's own unique features.

Has anyone found this to be an issue in the past?

I would suggest using acrylic for the pieces as it will
be more uniform and harder to tell the pieces apart.

That's sort of what I was saying earlier, Dan. Personally, I haven't
found being able to tell pieces apart a big issue so far, because I
mostly play piecepack games casually, with friends. It's easy to
imagine a situation where it would be an issue, though, say a
tournament at a gaming convention where there's a substantial prize at
stake. Having uniform, machine-cut plastic pieces would be a big plus
in such a situation.

Steve, would it be possible to make two kinds of piecepack: an
inexpensive wooden one and a more expensive acrylic one for serious
play? Maybe the latter could be a custom order.

A box (versus a bag) would be nice for the piecepack, but I don't have
a strong preference.

Thanks, all!

   Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... ... http://ron.ludism.org/
Mind Performance Hacks book: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mindperfhks/
	   Center for Ludic Synergy: http://www.ludism.org/
(revilous life proving aye the death of ronaldses when winpower wine has
		   bucked the kick on poor won man)