Re: JCD Piecepack Update from Blue Panther

Michael: There are pictures of the birch pieces up on the site, and the oak set should photos will also be put up there in the next week. With regard to engraving depth, I think you will be pleased that it is deep enough to put up with continuous handling - I have a demo set of Central Pacific that has seen over 100 plays and still looks good - it's made out of the same material as the birch JCD piecepack. If you are referring to whether or not someone could tell the difference between disks by touch, the birch is pretty consistent in terms of grain, but with the oak it may be possible to feel the grain a little. All components get a protective coat of polyurethane which tends to make them feel pretty similar. Travel set will be birch so it should be pretty good for blind draws. With regards to the exact size of the travel set - the tiles could be 1" versus the 2" size of the normal tiles. The question then becomes one of scale - with 1" tiles, the disks and pawns would have to be pretty small, and the symbols on them even smaller. The resolution is not an issue here, but my gamer eyesight isn't what it used to be... SJ Michael Van Biesbrouck writes:
The pictures and prices on the site look good.  Comparison of the two
woods would be nice and a picture of an entire set would be useful for
promotional purposes.  I see that there was mention on
boardgamenews.com, so that should let a lot of people know about the
sets.
How deep is the laser scoring on regular and travel sets?  Are they
suitable for blind draw from a bag?  (This really only needs to be
true for the discs unless grain is obvious on the tiles.)  Currently I
have one beautiful set that is suitable for blind draws and has slick
surfaces for certain dexterity games but there is an obvious grain.
Having everything perfect in one set would be great, but I would get
at least one large set to complement what I have.
If everything were available now, I would probably get a large oak set
in normal symbols and a normal symbols travel set, then try them out
to decide in which size to get the other two symbols. *** Discussion leaves reality at this point ***
If the tiles of the travel set can be put four onto a tile of the
normal-sized set, then there is the potential to design an entirely
new type of piecepack game. What about piecepack dominoes?
Michael