Re: [piecepack] Re: Interesting piecepack project -- want to help?

You would include in your html a chunk like

<pre class="ppdiag">
[[snipped- great diagram, but no need to include it twice!]]
</pre>

on load the javascript would find all class="ppdiag" and rerender them
as pretty graphic versions.

A massive advantage to this is that it provides *some* sort of
diagram, even for browsers and/or devices that are incapable of
JavaScript. The document.read() and document.write() calls can be
clumsy and inconvenient, but they'll only have to be implemented once
assuming the basic rewriter code is generic enough and written
correctly the first time.

Parameters are a lot easier to script, but the script only has to be
written once- it has to be used lots and lots of times. Easy interface
is better.

I've got some proficiency with JavaScript; I've worked with it before,
but I'd still need a good reference book open to get everything right.
Still, I'd be glad to help! Within my limited time, unfortunately- I'm
a Computer Science major, sure, but that leaves me with a lot of
homework and little free time given that this is my last semester and
I'm getting ready to graduate.

NC:d is the Null of Crowns facing "down" or south.

Coin or tile? And whatever the program does, it should probably be
able to render a coin either to obscure the opposite face or to
express what would be seen on the other side were it to be visible.
Color or grey borders would work for hidden suits (for those who
aren't colorblind), but something clumsier would have to be used for
hidden values.

This way the basic board layouts can be "drawn" in ascii and then
coins, dice, pawns, and other markers could be added on top.

Not "on top", per se, but the page can be retroactively edited to have
the diagram. That seems to be the easier and more reliable
implementation, anyway, and definitely the one that more browsers will
render correctly.

So far this is only the product of a brain storm and it is yet to see
if this is possible or desirable. Thoughts?

I think it's nifty!

--Adam Norberg