Re: [piecepack] Re: Rule Liecenses

The existing Piecepack wiki could be modified to include a PDF generating tool.  Likewise notification emails and a "publish" flag and security measures and licensing.

I'm not sure what the wiki software is that is being used (I'm only good at PHP anyway) - but licensing could become the standard template for rule creation pages.  There could also be privacy/access control lists/security for rules implemented.

Personally I like the Creative Commons laws.
http://creativecommons.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons

steve@... wrote:                                  Hello Piecepack Fans:

 Haven't visited the Stonehenge game site from Paizo, but I hear that they
 have a set of tools to help people create new game rules for their
 Stonehenge game and set of pieces.

 Perhaps the more computer savvy amongst the piecepack community could come
 up with something similar.

 If someone can set up a system like that - where licensing would be uniform
 and easily identified, Blue Panther would consider hosting such a service at
 our website...

 Steve Jones
 Blue Panther LLC

 Michael Van Biesbrouck writes:

 > On 8/2/07, palindromic_man <barry.reber@...> wrote:
 >> Could you sell the piecepack, and give the purchaser a CD-rom with the
 >> games?  I don't know if that would satisfy the "no commercial use" of
 >> many of the licenses provided, but it might.  You're not selling them,
 >> you're giving them away.  In fact you could give a cd to anyone who
 >> buys something in the shop.  I don't know.
 >
 > That doesn't constitute free due to potential for abuse.  Clearly
 > indicating that all the rules included are freely available from a
 > particular site and included for convenience might be better.  Even
 > charging for the service of translation of materials stated to be
 > freely available in another language might be okay to some people.
 > Making the translations freely available is better.  But some
 > licenses, as mentioned, don't allow such derivative works.
 >
 >> You're asking good questions.  I've wondered myself why these games
 >> aren't public domain like the piecepack, or licensed more liberally
 >> under something like a Creative Commons license.
 >
 > I think that most people who create rules for piecepack would be
 > flattered to find their rules included with sets but unhappy to find
 > that a major game company was selling their game as a product that
 > would normally get them $1/game (or more) royalties.  It is difficult
 > to distinguish between these situations when creating a license.
 >
 > I am interested in reading further license discussion.  I feel that
 > licenses should permit translation (at least if the result is freely
 > available and can be checked to be accurate; some commercial games are
 > believed broken due to bad rules translations into English) and should
 > permit inclusion with generic piecepack sets as part of an anthology
 > of rulesets noted as coming from a given website.  Permission to
 > substitute suit names might worthwhile, too.
 >
 > Michael

Peter Cobcroft
curufea@...
Main: http://www.curufea.com/