Re: piecepacking pirates

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "Emily" <emily.page@...> wrote:
> I was confused about the exact order and]
> timing of JUST sited ships. I roll the
> suns die and, yohoho, I see a ship. At
> that exact second I stick it diagonal
> from my ship. Does it then immediately
> sail to chase me, run away, or stay put?
> Or does sticking the ship onto the board
> count as its move?

If the ship survives to the end of your sailing phase, then the ship
DOES get to move, but it might not be immediately. The reason is that,
since you may sail your pirate ship two orthogonal steps plus use the
wind for a diagonal step once at any time during your sail phase, you
might enter a new part of the sea on your first orthogonal sailing
step, reveal a tile and then roll to sight a ship. Then, if you still
have movement left, you can sail to try to run away or attack. The
other ships sail phase comes after your sailing phase is completed.
This means that if you see an easy target ship on your first sailing
step, you can attack it (sailing with the wind if you put it in the
correct orientation). If the ship doesn't survive, it doesn't get a
chance to sail.

> It's nice to know that the CREATOR doesn't
> get huge scores... but that playmat going
> so high makes me feel so pathetic with my
> almost-no-booty.

After a couple of years, I honestly don't remember why the booty track
goes that high. I suppose it would be possible for someone to score a
couple hundred booty and have it buried, but I've never seen it happen.

Anyway, I hope the above clarifies the other ships sailing. Thank you
for playing!

Clark