Re: Designing my own game for Piecepack

"slpjeff12" <pawndreamgames@...>
writes:

> My name is Jeff, and I just recently learned of piecepack. What a
> fantastic idea! /brown-nosing.

Well, I'm not sure to whom you'd be brown-nosing. (Do the inventors
still read this group?)

We think it's pretty good too :-)

> Anyway, I got cranking on my own design, and I was just curious. Do
> most folks games for piecepack use ALL the elements-- all the dice,
> all the tiles, etc.-- or is there some flexibility to that?

There's plenty of flexibility. You should assume that the people who
want to play your game have a standard Piecepack, but there's no problem
with omitting some parts. You just need to be specific in your rules how
to get the set of pieces your game requires.

Just like with a standard deck of cards: there are games that specify to
strip some cards from the deck and use the remaining cards only.

> I ask as my current design uses only 1d6 for most of its gameplay with
> a possible 2d6. And honestly, it's not about suits when you roll as it
> is about movement, so there's that. Is that cool?

The Piecepack design gives a lot of information in the pack that is
*available* for use by game designers, to allow rich variety in the
games. There's no problem with your particular design ignoring some of
that information.

It's usually best if your rules are clear about what information is
ignored; e.g. when describing how to use the dice, you might specify
that dice suits are ignored for the purpose of your game.

Since the Piecepack design is free culture, I encourage you to release
your Piecepack game in the same spirit by choosing well-understood free
license terms. The CC-BY-SA-3.0 license is a good choice: anyone can
derive from and/or redistribute your work, provided you get attribution,
and anyone who redistributes your work must give recipients the same
freedom.

--
 &#92;       “They can not take away our self respect if we do not give it |
  `&#92;                                         to them.” —Mahatma Gandhi |