Re: [piecepack] Re: Rainbow Deck

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Mark Biggar <mark.a.biggar@...> wrote:
> On 4/3/2010 8:01 AM, Ron Hale-Evans wrote:
>> Howdy, Clark! Because you contributed to the original Rainbow Deck
>> thread on BGG, I thought this thread might flush you out, busy though
>> you be. :)
>>
>> It would be great if you (or someone else) would make a page about
>> your deck on the wiki.
>
> IcePack also had a deck of cards, 56 cards (nine suits and 2 jokers)

Yes, and I think there are a couple of other, similar decks floating
out there, all of varying thoughtfulness, compatibility with one
another, and integration with the piecepack. Has anyone actually
written a game with any of them? Someone who knows more should
definitely write about this on the wiki.

What intrigues me about the Rainbow Deck is that it's the first
project of its kind that I've seen the boardgaming community show much
enthusiasm for. Thus, there is some hope that people may use it and it
will stick around long enough to become some kind of standard.

Marty and I were talking recently about how the piecepack lends itself
more to small, short games than to large, sprawling games like
Advanced Civilization and its descendants. She attributed this to its
relatively small number of components, among other things, and
threatened to write an essay about it. :) Meanwhile, we talked about
adding a standard deck of cards to a playing cards piecepack, or
combining the three standard piecepacks to get 12 suits. (To my
knowledge, Clark's Spam-o-Rama is the only game that does this at the
moment. Good game, BTW.) Anyway, that was about when I started getting
interested in the 12-suited Rainbow Deck.

Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... ... http://ron.ludism.org/ ... (206) 201-1768
    Mind Performance Hacks book: http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101534/
 The proteiform graph itself is a polyhedron of scripture. (Finnegans
Wake 107:08)