Re: [piecepack] Killer App?

>   What do you think?

Well, if you define success as "commercial proliferation" of the
piecepack, I think he's right.

I suspect that gamers are drawn to games, not the
concept of games that the piecepack represents.  For the
piecepack to really take off, I think you would need one (or more)
truly unique and compelling games that require its purchase.
In other words, one fantastic game will generate more sales
than twenty decent-but-ordinary ones.

While no one game will appeal to everyone, a game with
widespread appeal -- a sort of Settlers of Catan for the
piecepack -- would really get us proliferation.

On the other hand, if you define success as just "generating some
interest among game designers," then there is no such need for a
killer app.

I think it comes down to whether the piecepack is to be something
every gamer has on their shelf, or something that game designers
toy with in their spare time.  If you want the former, a single game
that draws some buzz is the best marketing tool to make it happen.

Cheers,
    Jim