Re: [piecepack] Re: Genesis, Cloning, Possibilities

>   It seems like the greatest strength of the piecepack might lie in
>the creation of abstract games.

Funny you should say that, James.  Because I have the nearly
opposite point of view.   :)

        [Hey, what good is an email discussion list, beyond throwing
        a wrench into things?]

While the piecepack components are certainly abstract, and are
therefore ideal for creating abstract games, to me they are only
a small piece of the piecepack puzzle.  I see them as currency,
tokens, chits, markers, and so on -- the things that are necessary to
keep a game going, but not so much the things that are the game
itself.

In my head, I see the piecepack as board game components
in need of detailed surroundings.  Add a chessboard,
a map of the world, a lego set, a deck of cards, a LARP, some
fantasy miniatures, 10 30-sided dice, plastic tanks, and/or some
vampire character sheets, and you've got yourself a heck of a
piecepack game.  And not abstract at all.

Cheapass Games -- my apologies for bringing them up, I have the
same problems with them that you do  -- began with a concept of
"We provide the rules, you provide the accessories."   But they
would still sell you a board and some cards.  It was never their
intention to create a game that needed nothing other than a few
six-sided dice.  They've been trying to add value to your accessories.

I view the piecepack as The Ultimate Accessory (overstated hype
my own).  I'd like to design non-abstract games wherein I provide
the concrete components, and use the piecepack for its randomizer,
ability to hide information, pawns, orientations, suits and values.

But that's just me, and as a permanent disclaimer, I might be insane.  :)

Jim Doherty
Eight Foot Llama

PS   This is not meant to discourage the abstract designers out there.
  By all means, go for it, while I work on my 30-sided-die vampire tanks!

PPS    Design contests are definitely a good idea.