Re: [piecepack] Re: Genesis, Cloning, Possibilities

On Friday, August 10, 2001, at 03:59 PM, Doug Orleans wrote:

> You're right, Torres is more about creating height and width (and
> moving the pawns along the roofs).  Perhaps Frank can compare it to
> his other 3-d tile laying games.

Okay:

Terra Turrium: This is the origin of Torres, and an old game by Kramer.
Action points can be used to place pieces, and move knights. The object
here is a more abstract one: have 1 knight on each of 6 different levels.

Strata 5: One aspect here is that the flat pawns are the same physical
height as the 2x2 tiles. Object is to have one of your pawns be at the
5th level. Each pawn has a number from 1-5 on it, indicating an exact
move by the pawn. Players take turns placing a piece (which may cover up
pawns) then moving a piece.

Step by Step: Same principle as Strata 5. But each player has one ball.
No captures, and tiles are 1x1. Not actually a good game, and far less
interesting than Strata 5

Java: You've seen this right?

Crystallis: As best as I can tell, this one has you moving pieces like
monsters, princess, knights, and a frog around on the tiles. Have yet to
translate it, and of course no one else has a copy... :)

Nazca: By the guy that gave us ISI. This uses tiles in varying 1xN
lengths. And has a Go sort of scoring and feel.

Azteca: An extremely weird game that resembles a 3D Ta Yu. Players are
trying to get connections to the sides of the board. the evil bit is
that the 14 tiles all twist fully in 3D space.

Moo
Frank