Re: Hanging Gardens line of sight examples?

--- In piecepack@y..., "Andrew" <AndAgainMA@a...> wrote:
> I just received a couple of 2nd edition piecepacks in the mail -
nice
> bits!
>
> Since I am a fan of tile-laying games, I turned first to Hanging
> Gardens. I am finding the line-of-sight rules tricky. Has any kind
> person put together some graphics with examples of LOS?

Hello Andrew,

   Good question.  Here is a brief conversation Dave Boyle (of
Mesomorph Games) and I (the designer of Hanging Gardens) just had...

Dave: Did you see the question on the piecepack list about line-of-
sight in hanging gardens?

jdroscha: yup

jdroscha: I think you should position your eyeball right next to the
gazebo, then place a sewing needle leaning against the flower bed.
Flick the needle with your finger and if it hits you in the eye,
you've got LOS.

Dave: What about the 3rd time?

jdroscha: You must atune yourself with your inner spirit and open
your 3rd eye.

Dave: You know, one of those cheapo laser pointers would do the
trick, come to think of it.

jdroscha: The trouble with laser pointers and strings and such is
that you must have perfectly squared-up tiles for them to be
reliable.  That's why the math is necessary.

Dave: Well, you either need complex formulas, perfectly arranged
tiles, or generally agreeable people.

jdroscha: The third option is best, in my opinion, and that is why it
is the recommended rule.

Dave: Well, it is by far the easiest.
Really the rest should just be backup for when there is a real
disagreement that would affect the outcome of the game.

jdroscha: Yes, that is my opinion as well.

   Anyway, I agree that we need some photos or diagrams with
examples.  I intend to add a few when I take the ruleset out
of "beta" and build a PDF file for it.

Game On,
James