Re: Hanging Gardens line of sight examples?

James,

Thanks for your reply. A couple of other questions.

Let me try your patience further, using an example with that
sub-cheapass graphics tool, the ascii character set.
TT is a terrace (face-down tile, of which there are 5 on the table)
SS is a support (face-up tile)
G is a gazebo
a,b,c,d are beds

Ga
TT
SS    SS
SSbc  SSd
TTTTTTTTTT

Let's consider each of the four beds in turn.

a) Visible, of course. But what if it was another gazebo, rather than
a bed? Would this other gazebo block G's view of the beds? Or are
gazebos transparent?

b) Not visible, since blocked by the plateau on which G rests.
b is 2 away from G
plateau is of height 1
G is at height 2
b is 1 away from the plateau
Hence the formula in the rules tells us that b is not visible.

c) Visible, different from b in that it's 3 away from G and 2 away
from the plateau.

d)Visible. Supports do not obstruct view. If a terrace was placed on
top of these supports, then we would have a plateau of height 1, but,
without a terrace on top, this is not a plateau.

Yes, I agree that agreement among reasonable players is the best way
to resolve such questions. But in order to be able to reason about
what's visible, the players need to have the visibility rules
explained to them.

So I'm only slightly apologetic for laboring this. But I do apologize
in advance for any typos in this; I've taken a few pins to the eyes
recently...

Andrew.