Re: Grampa Barmo piecepack article

--- In piecepack@y..., Ronald Hale-Evans <rwhe@l...> wrote:

> my term, a 'dP' being a piecepack die of 0-5

   cute

> ranges from 0-15, the same range covered by subsets of a suit of
> tiles or coins (0+1+2+3+4+5).  I'm still trying to think of how to
put
> this fact to use as the basis for a game mechanism.

   If you like those little mathematical curiosities, how about
this... you've got 4 null tiles and 4 ace tiles in a piecepack, so
you could use them to represent a 4-bit binary number (where null=0
and ace=1).  And what is the decimal range of a 4-bit binary?  That
would be 0-15.

> Similarly, your
> comment in the article about combining the piecepack with Icehouse
> inspired my new game Snowman Meltdown.

   excellent!

> I don't want to deprive Demian Katz of income or anything, but all
> contributors to _Grampa Barmo_ retain copyright, don't they?

   yes

> And it's
> been several months since the article was published.  What are the
> chances of your publishing this seminal article on piecepack.org or
> elsewhere soon?

   The chances are pretty good.  But first, I want to talk to Katz
about what he would consider to be a courteous waiting period before
re-publishing an article written for Grampa Barmo's.  My thought is 6
months, but I would like to get his opinion.

> Thanks, and thanks for your positive comments about Snowman
Meltdown.
> It's almost ready for Internet playtesting.

   I look forward to it!

> p.s. Everybody, I highly recommend the Grampa Barmo zine.  Here's
the
>   http://www.netaxs.com/~katz/grampa/barmo.htm

   I second this recommendation.

Game On,