Re: Wand of Odin comments/questions

--- In piecepack@y..., Ron Hale-Evans <rwhe@l...> wrote:
> I have a few comments on Wand of Odin.  These are the ones that
stuck
> in my mind.
>
> 1. First, great game!  Looks really fun.  I'm glad another solitaire
>    game is available, and the rules for automating the "critters"
look
>    really good.

Thanks, there are of course flaws there.  A canny critter with Guile
one higher than yours but War three higher really ought to choose
War,
in case you pull out a couple of '1' chips.  But leaving it at Guile
seemed better overall.

> 2. The rules are unclear in a couple of places.  I had to read
through
>    almost five pages of text before I realised this is mostly a
>    solitaire game, and even then it's only acknowledged implicitly
at
>    the end.  Stating the number of players possible for a game right
>    up front is usually helpful.

Check out version 0.2.  0.1 started as an informal post, 'hey Wand of
Odin could be...', and turned into a set of rules as I typed.  0.2 is
more polished.  Still anxious to have folks pick at it, though...

> 3. Using standard piecepack terminology is usually helpful too.
>    It took me a while to figure out whether "chips" referred to
>    tiles or coins.  (They're coins, right?)

Yeah.  <sheepish look>  I uh...  I don't even own a Piecepack.  I saw
a picture on Brett & Board, read the specs, then one of the old
messages had the title 'Wand of Odin' in it, and I was off and
running.  Tiles are the square things, and coins are the round ones.
0.3 will call them coins, I promise.  :)

> 4. I suppose now somebody's going to have to write One Man Thrag,
Hunt
>    the Wocket, and (urp) Attack of the Clones.

One man Thrag is just such a cool name.  But I'm already feeling
kinda
guilty about Wand of Odin.  :)