Re: 'Weighted' coins for keeping score?

--- In piecepack@y..., Thorn <edt@d...> wrote:
> I think tokens with 'weight' values are the way to do this.  Values
of 1
> unit, 3 units, 9 units, 27 units, 81 units, etc.  Use these like
weights
> on a scale.  Each token has to represent either a positive of its
value,
> or a negative of its value, perhaps by flipping, or perhaps by
rotation
> or positionally.
>
> I'm printing a whole-sheet sticker page to be cut out and stuck on
> wooden bits that should arrive soon.  (Thanks to jdroscha for
posting
> the link.)  I'm going to make my coins' numbered faces include a
> subscript of their 'weight' value, to add this ability.  Leaving the
> 'null' coin blank entirely lets it serve as a pawn, or maybe as the
> balance point in the positional notation used with the 'weighted'
> coins.  (Put coins 'above' the null to add value, 'below' the null
> subtract.)

Wow, that's a pretty cool idea! Being able to score up to 121 points
with only 6 coins (including the blank as the "pivot") or 5 coins
(using positive and negative sides) is quite an efficient scoring
mechanism. I can see making a few sets of "score coins" and carrying
them around as standard gaming equipment.

> Is there any interest in the graphics for these weighted coins, or
for
> the whole-page image I will use?

Yup, I'm curious to see the design.