Re: Deranged Idea

--- In piecepack@y..., "Jim/Diane Doherty" <dianejim@m...> wrote:
> [coming out of lurk mode, for better or worse...]
>
> Secondly, the prize in this contest (other than glory) is a
_unique_
> miniature handmade 'pack -- made by the inventor of the game
> system.

   Geez, I thought it was a pretty weak offering myself.  It is, by
the by, merely hand stamped (which means I bought wood parts and used
rubber stamps).  So, although it is technically unique (in its
imperfections) there are a few of these little buggers (currently 6).

> Here's the deranged part:  I further submit, for your approval,
that
> the winner of this contest become the judge of the *next* contest,

   Hey, I like this.  Ultimately, I guess that decision will be up to
the winner.  But I certainly support the idea.

> and the mini-pack becomes the "Stanley Cup" of the piecepack
> world, passed around to the various contest winners, perhaps
> somehow inscribed by those who have won it over time.

   Hmmm.  Not sure about this part.  I think that decision must be up
to the winner as well, since it was not stipulated at the start.  In
general, though, I do like the concept of an object to be passed from
designer to designer, accumulating Hancock marks, as it were (anyone
else remember Omni League for On The Edge CCG?).

> Granted, I'm a little low on sleep, but somehow this strikes me
> as amusing.    :)

   Indeed, sir.

   Another point to be made is that the contest rules clearly state
that I'm not trying to judge "best" piecepack game designer, so
regarding the prize as a trophy would seem peculiar.

   But, what about this: if the winner of this contest wishes to
theme and judge the next, perhaps he could also offer to build a
custom piecepack and send it to his chosen winner?  This places a
burden on the winner, though, so might lose steam.  Maybe the
particular prize could be anything (or nothing) deemed appropriate by
the judge.
   And in any case, we could certainly have _something_ that travels
from winner to winner, gathering signatures or glyphs.  How about a
collaborative piece of gaming art?  I could supply the parts for a
blank piecepack, and when you win a contest you create/decorate one
of the parts (one tile, for example) in any way you desire.  Much of
the functionality would be lost be the time it was complete (56
winners from now) but it would look interesting and would likely be
playable for several types of games.
   Any other ideas?

Piece,
James