Re: [piecepack] Every single aspect of piecepack?

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 04:37:22AM -0000, davelernergames wrote:
> I'm new to the piecepack system, and am still going through the games
> list.
>
> I have a question.  Does any current game use EVERY single aspect of
> piecepack, from the tic-marks on the coins to the quartered sections
> on the backs of the tiles?

Dave, I suggest you look at this thread from rec.games.playing-cards
in March 2000, where a similar question was asked about the standard
deck of cards:

  http://groups.google.com/groups?th=cc2ccc9296a9cb31&rnum=1

It seems to me that the most interesting response came from Mark
Bassett, who wrote:

  Seriously, does this query really make sense? You write as though
  your list summarises all the information there is on a playing card,
  but I can think of lots more. For instance:

  Some pip patterns are the same upside down (6, 8), some aren't (7).
  One suit symbol is the same upside down, the others aren't.
  Some court cards have two eyes showing, some have one.
  Some court cards hold something in their right hand, some in their left.
  Some numbers are prime and some aren't.

  If you take a sufficiently "cabbalistic" approach to card design,
  there's no end to the amount of "information" you can find there.

I also suggest you look into the general semantics concept of
"non-allness".  Here's a good link:

  http://www.esgs.org/uk/all.htm

Ron H-E

p.s. I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, really.  And I am glad you've
     discovered the piecepack!

--
         Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
           Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,