[LONG!] Pharaoh's Heir design - (was: Re: So Copycats and Confusion Win??)

Mike wrote:

> I'll mention one other thing regarding copying. If I had, by
chance come up with a game which was so close to Fresh Fish
(in my example) as to be essentially identical in all significant
aspects of play, and then afterwards found this to be the case, I
would have been very frustrated and would not have posted the
game (if I hadn't already). Priority does count for something.

> From a quick reading of the rules to Pharaoh's Heir, it doesn't
look to me like it will play in a way very close to that of any other
game, without adding anything of its own. And obviously Rob
doesn't think it does. I look forward to trying it myself when I have
time.

Just like Mike, I would never knowingly create a game for the
piecepack that was almost identical to an existing game, and I
certainly wouldn't enter such a game in a design contest.  The
piecepack can be used to play existing games (see
piecepack.org for piecepack versions of mancala etc).

I enjoyed Mike's post on the development of Alien City as a
piecepack game (and contest entry), so I thought I would chart
Pharaoh's Heir in the same way.

As opposed to putting published games in a blender, the game
started out as an aborted attempt at a Changing Landscapes
contest game last year.  I couldn't get the central mechanic to
work, and left it alone fairly quickly.  When the 4th contest was
designed I went back to it as I really wanted to make it work.

The main feature of that game was a river that ran through a
kingdom (the river was 4 piecepack tiles long and the kingdom
was built on either side). The key point about the river was that it
could move - a tile could be added at one end and 'push' the rest
of the river down a tile length.  This meant that a player's farm or
city or whatever that on one turn was adjacent to a lot of water
could end up next to less water or no water at all the next turn.

The game also featured a set way each turn developed - I think it
was something like river phase, develop phase, harvest phase,
population phase, mining phase, build phase then religious
phase. Each phase followed from the previous one, and players
had no influence over the phases.  The coins were the villagers
and I did have money and canals/grain (see some of my other
games like Kingdoms of the  Middle Sea and Piecepack
Subways for other examples of my pennies and matches
resource games). The aim of the game was to have the best
kingdom.

Initially the problems were that the river idea worked fine
(although it was pretty abstract - a flood tile could be adjacent to
a drought tile on the same river), but the rest was both
unbalanced, since if a player got a crop tile earlier than the
others it was pretty much predictable that that player would win.
Also, it was really only a game for 4 players.  With 2 there wasn't
enough interaction, and with 3 one player was left alone on one
side of the river and the 2 players on the other side had a harder
time competing for resources.

The first major breakthrough was to change the river (which had
always been the 6 arms tiles) into a river "deck", which functions
like the event decks that are present in many games. In fact I feel
that the river "deck" is the central mechanic of the game (more
about this later).

This left the problem of an uneven start for the players. I toyed
around with different start setups, but if each player started with
three tiles already in play then half the game was over - plus it
was still unbalancing as at that time the numbers on the tiles
reflected production ability. The conception of the play mat was
the second major breakthrough. All players now started on equal
footing, and all players were now affected in the same way by the
river tiles.

The two above changes now made the rest of the phases
incredibly boring!  If everyone started on an equal footing and did
exactly the same thing each phase, then the game ended in a tie
- I had changed the game from an unbalanced one into a very
tedious but extremely even one!!

Between initial idea and this point I had been playing a lot of
Puerto Rico.  It is a great game that I am not very good at. I
realized that the phases in my game, while linked in various
ways, would be very interesting if they happened in a different
sequence each turn. And if you give the players the choice of
what happens next, then there has to be an incentive for
choosing that phase. So I ended up, eventually, using the
role-choosing mechanic from Puerto Rico. I'd like to point out
that I enjoy games with this type of mechanic, and had in the
past designed a piecepack game where this mechanic is also
central (King Arthur's Court). Partly because it came so late in the
design process and partly because of the river "deck" mechanic
which had been my initial epiphany, I have never felt the phase
selection to be central to Pharaoh's Heir.  I saw much later that if
you are fresh to the game (and have played Puerto Rico even
once) you could at first think I had "rehashed" it. Unlike Puerto
Rico, all five phases are selected every turn. Players also take
turns in selecting phases - thus downtime between choosing is
kept to an absolute minimum, unlike Puerto Rico where you
choose last in the turn after you choose first.

The final major change was the introduction of the 'period of
unrest' where the play mats are cleared.  It was at this time that
the theme of ancient Egyptian civilization's ups and downs
crystallized as part of the game. The design reason for including
this is actually so that you don't need to have 3 piecepacks to
play, since a number of turns that was divisible by 4 and 3, ie 12,
was needed!  I was already concerned that people would be put
off by the 2 piecepack requirement, so I decided to 'reuse' the
tiles in a second cycle. This is where the Egypt theme, as well as
a sense of the game repeating history within itself came from. As
a note, I had included this in the game by the time Amun-Re (a
game which uses this 'half-time clearing' mechanic) was
released, and although I have since read the rules I have not
played - although I want to!!

I tweaked the scoring a lot, as I didn't want it to be too easy for
one person to get ahead. At one point the difference in scores
from 1st through 4th in a resource was large, but in the end the
points scored are much closer together. This kind of scoring is
prevalent in many games, I didn't personally associate it with any
particular game, although since the whole discussion on re-use
of game mechanics I have since read that El Grande is
considered one of the first games to get a lot of attention (and
awards) that uses this type of scoring. By the way this is another
game that I haven't played before, and want to.

Lastly, I usually make comments on game design within my
game rules and Pharaoh's Heir was no exception.  I decided at
the last minute to remove them. I felt that it would be better to let
the judge and his playtesters decide for themselves how the
game played, and what mechanics it used. As it turns out Rob
saw from one read through that the game had elements used in
other games, almost to my poor creation's rejection!!  Fortunately
for me the way the game plays saved the day.

Hopefully this has been of interest to some of you (must have
been if you are still reading), and perhaps added something to
the current discussion on re-use of mechanics in new games for
the piecepack.

I would like to thank everyone who has had positive things to say
about Pharaoh's Heir, and I am always open to feedback and
constructive criticism.

Phillip