>From a quick reading of the rules to Pharo's Heir, it dosn't look to me like it will play in a way very close to that of any other game, without adding anything of its own. And obviously Rob doesn't think it does. I look forward to trying it myself when I have time.

-Mike Schoessow

From: Ron Hale-Evans
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 12:54 PM
  Subject: Re: [piecepack] So Copycats and Confusion Win??

  "Second, I'd like to put in a word on the "copycat" (what a childish
  word) controversy.  I am speaking as one of the judges of the second
  competition, which was won by Mike Schoessow's entry Alien City.  (The
  other judge was my wife Marty.  I am speaking for myself only; perhaps
  Marty will comment later.)

  When I played Alien City for the first time, I thought it was one of
  the most original games I had ever seen.  It is still my favourite
  piecepack game by a wide margin, even including the games Marty and I
  have designed.  Since we announced Alien City as the winner, I have
  discovered that there are a couple of games that incorporate
  mechanisms similar to ones in Alien City and were released before Mike
  entered his game into the contest.  Fresh Fish (1997) uses a "one big
  road" mechanism that is similar in some ways to Mike's game, and
  Medina (2001) uses a building/capping mechanism that is also similar.
  However, assuming for the sake of argument that Mike "stole" these
  mechanisms for his game, he still combined them in a fresh way and
  added many twists of his own.  The scoring mechanism of Alien City is
  totally different from either of the other two games I mentioned.
  Also, Alien City is a two-player head-to-head contest, almost a pure
  abstract strategy game, whereas social considerations such as
  leader-bashing enter into the other two.