piecepack Design Competitions

Now that the fourth competition is concluded and we are all looking
forward to the fifth, I have some comments and observations. The
design contests have been a great success, and have given us all
some of the best piecepack games which otherwise would, in all
likelyhood, never have been designed.

One interesting aspect of our competition format is the inclusion of
a different theme for each succeeding contest. One might be inclined
to think that the theme restriction would narrow the field and
result in fewer entrants or exclude some potentially good games. But
in practice I don't believe this to be the case, and the reason has
to do with the nature of the themes chosen so far. A shrewdly chosen
theme can serve to inspire or focus the designers without unduly
constraining them. Certainly that was the case for me when I entered
two games in the second contest. The Ludic Synergy theme (combine
piecepack with another game sysytem) pointed me in directions I
probably wouldn't have gone on my own, and so it broadened my
thinking a bit. All the past themes have been good this way. The
first theme, Time Marches On, encouraged designers to utilize the
natural relationships between piecepack component quantities and our
clocks and calenders, but allowed any game that included some aspect
of time passage, a broad area which is nevertheless somewhat under-
utilized in games. The second contest added additional components to
the mix, opening up new vistas of design. In the third competition,
I had the opportunity to choose the theme, and I came up with
Changing Landscapes, in which some form of mutable board was
required. My intention was to encourage the design of physically
more dynamic games and the use of the tiles in innovative ways
while, once again, not being too restrictive. The most recent
contest theme, History Repeats Itself, seemed intended to encourage
stronger theming of the games, perhaps more in the German style
(Rob, perhaps you would like to comment on this). In all cases the
competition themes served to suggest new directions, and to focus or
inspire, but at the same time, they were not too narrow or
restrictive. An example of a restrictive theme to my way of thinking
would be that all games must be some form of combat game. A lot of
people are not particularly interested in combat games, so some
might not enter the contest who otherwise would. Also, a combat
theme is a natural and common theme in games so such a theme would
not particularly serve to inspire anything new.

To insure a good level of participation, it is important that the
competition announcement be widely distributed. I also like to see
international participation, and there has been some in the past.

The following is the list of places where I posted the announcement
of the third competition. I think the first five in the list are the
most important, but who knows? It would be very interesting in
future contests to find out how many entrants were not piecepack
group subscribers when they first heard of the competition, and
where they heard of it.

1) piecepack yahoo group

2) BoardGameDesign yahoo group

3) Board Game Design Forum

4) Abstract Games magazine

5) spielfrieks yahoo group

6) Boardgamegeek (ask to have it posted in the news section)

7) about.boardgames.com

8) rec.games.board

9) The Games Journal

10)Counter magazine

There are probably some magazines I'm missing, especially European
ones and on-line ones, and I think there may be some additional
rec.games groups. I can supply web addresses for most or all of
these.

Starting with the third competition, the names of the authors have
been kept secret from the judges until after the winning entry has
been chosen. This was Ron Hale-Evan's idea, and I endorse it. The
piecepack community is still a pretty close-knit group, so it is
likely that the judge and some of the entrants will know each other,
and perhaps even have awarded each other prizes in past
competitions. Hiding the authors helps guard against unintentional
biases, and speaking as a past judge, I can say that for me it also
reduced the pressure of judging.

In the past two contests, the time period between the announcement
of the competition and the last day for submissions was longer than
in the first two competitions, and I think that was good. Game
design, not to mention play-testing, takes a lot of time, and I feel
that, in general, the longer period results in a bigger percentage
of good games. Of course, there will always be those who do all
their work in the last two weeks or less :-)

Regarding the rules text, all I want to say is, make sure it is both
thorough and clear in meaning. Both are very important. Fortunately,
we have not had any big disputes following the close of the
competitions, and one reason for this could be the quality of the
rules presentations so far.

The hardest working person during these past three competitions has
certainly been Karol, and I want to thank her for her dedication. I
don't know whether she will be acting in the new competition as a
clearing agent between the authors and the judge, as she has in the
past. But whoever contributes their time to doing this deserves to
have their time utilized efficiently. Here are some thoughts on the
subject. I'm not completely familiar with how things were handled in
the most recent contest so some of these may not apply or else may
already be adapted. To prevent the need for double editing, I
suggest that rules sets be sent to the agent as attachments to e-
mails, with the author's name, address, telephone, etc., NOT
appearing anywhere on the attachment itself. The agent can then send
the attachment out to the judge without any changes at all. She will
keep a list that cross-references game names and author names. If
the judge has questions for an author, he or she will send it to the
agent who will just forward it to the author. The author will reply
back via the agent. No editing of rules text need occur until after
the close of the competition and the submission by authors of
updated rules, if they wish. I want to stress that these are just my
suggestions, and it's entirely possible that other people could have
better ideas. When I was involved in the Changing Landscapes
competition, I found that things went most smoothly when lines of
communication were kept wide open and used frequently. Karol was
very pleasant to work with and that made my job easy.

All of my comments above are intended to encourage additional
comments within the group. The competitions have, as I said, been a
great success so far, but it behooves us to keep trying to improve
them. I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of others on
themes (are they good to have?, bad? other?), announcement
distribution, author anonimity, contest lengths, logistics issues,
and any other issues that affect the competitions.

-Mike Schoessow